We have been traveling for a few weeks since picking up the “Deathless”. Things have resorted to a normality both Delia and I find almost relaxing. The wyverns are fairly peaceful, if not a bit rabbit like. The riders are a lot different, but not really. It is hard to explain, so maybe in the future I will address it.
About one week out from Talog IV, the location of the Altharin we had two new shipmates. Somehow this Wyvern Home was able to gate two people (and I say people roughly) to the ship. As if they were just walking across the street.
Hippodameia was the first through. She was tall, blond hair, with a cybernetic eye. She is larger then even normal legionnaires, but she seems more like one of us in build. She is very strong, and what they call a Tech-Legionnaire, evidently someone responsible for updating, repairing and maybe even designing legion equipment. We hadn’t realized they had people that could do this, with all their prayers to their god every time they fire a weapon. We assumed they couldn’t invent, upgrade or even repair their equipment.
Example of a Tech-Legionnaire, will get an image of Hippodameia soon.
Jacra was a “Red” wyvern, evidently much like our mages, he is responsible for wards and sigils. I may approach him and ask for more information, it would be something we might understand. He is dark haired, darker skinned with sigils all over his body and he is missing his left eye. He is evidently a “hunter” which is unusual for his caste. Taza seems to know him well.
Normal crew behavior returned to normal, this time with two additional people.
We arrived at Talog IV in a rough condition. The pilot alerted all of us that they were coming into real space, and it was going to be turbulent. Once we entered real space Taza grabbed her head as if she was under a psychic assault and it took her several minutes and the help of the older Elf to calm down and regain control.
I have to say the sight was disconcerting.
During this time Lhyssa, the younger Altharin launched herself at the window and threw herself full force multiple times, bloodying the glass. They eventually got her to calm down and taught her something similar to what Taza was using. They both claimed the sun was jibbering and screaming. From what I have seen, I don’t doubt it. The entire system is warp touched.
We arrived on planet to find a “small” altharin world of a few million people. It has long been abandoned and ravaged. We also found a battlefield where people were living statues, somehow out of phase with reality. Frozen in mid-action in the last minutes of an assault.
We noted there were maybe 200 Altharins left standing, thousands of warp creatures and other’s swarming the hill they were on, like a swarm of ants.
Taza found the brother she was looking for. He was frozen, his hand stuck in the middle of an Altharin Cannon Crystal of some sort. He was severely wounded as was everyone around him. A resigned look on his face frozen. Creatures were launching themselves at him and others, also frozen in mid air.
Horrific Altharin Weapon
We determined a few things:
- The Altharins were being overwhelmed by the enemy, this battlefield is probably the last of defending Altharins. Tens of thousands of enemy around them. This included weapons fire frozen in mid flight.
- The Altharins had detonated the crystal of a Displacer Cannon. I have read about these weapons, they would phase their targets momentarily into the warp, destroying/slaying anything in the range, then reappearing as remains in reality.
- It appeared they hoped it would detonate large enough to destroy the enemy surrounding them, I doubt highly they intended to freeze anything.
- Since the destruction of this planet eons ago, someone unknown has been harvesting people out of the statuary. They are not fully there in reality, but Taza and her people found if they are wrapped in “Spider Silk” she can use her time ability to move them out of the area. They are still frozen, but now not part of the living scene on the planet.
- Those others have obviously been harvesting both Altharins and monsters for their own purposes. I wonder if this is how the brother became a “fallen” Altharin before blowing up my world.
- We found many stasis tubes and grabbed all the Altharins that could be gotten, along with multiples of each type of enemy for testing.
- Taza said one of her hunters named Mercedes must have come near something like this when she retrieved a “daemon”.
Once we retrieved what we could, Taza did not want to stay very long. Hippodamaie had secured several pieces of Altharin equipment and faster than you could call the morning list for services we were back on the ship leaving quickly.
I have not talked to Taza yet about this, I will do that after I am done writing.
Until the stone returns to dust.